An important point to keep in mind is that blackjack enjoys the lowest house edge of any casino game over the player. This makes it the most player-friendly casino game in the world. Even if you’re a total diffuse and make glaring mistakes, you can still fall under a 3% house edge. And those who know what they’re doing, well, finding a house edge of just 1 % is possible. Yes, you do have to know what you’re doing, but there’s a large number of tips and tricks that most people are unaware of. Here at Blackjack Champ, we’ve taken the time to put together a concise guide to the best blackjack tips and tricks. Use this as a sort of online blackjack cheat sheet to stay ahead of the opposition. Like poker, blackjack does have an element of skill involved. But it’s nothing that can’t be learned with over a long weekend.
Many of the most common blackjack tricks simply come down to four factors: knowing when to split, double down, buy insurance and when to take a hit. That’s it! Let’s dive a little deeper…
The essential Do’s and Don’ts: How to statistically increase the odds in your favor
- Split pairs of Aces and 8s.
- Split twos, threes, sixes and sevens and nines (not if the dealer has 7 or higher)
- Double down with a total of ten but not if the dealer has a ten or an ace.
- Double down with eleven but not if the dealer has an ace.
- Take a hit with an 11 or less.
- If you have between 12 and 16, take a hit when the dealer’s card is seven or higher
- It is a good idea to not take anymore hits with a hard hand of 17 or higher.
- With a soft 17 or less always take a hit.
- With a soft 18 take a hit if the dealer has a 6 or less.
- Split pairs of 10-value cards: 10s, Jacks, Queens or Kings.
- Buying insurance(dealers only even get a natural 30% of the time once he gets an ace, so it makes no sense to bet on him)
- Adhering to the ‘dealer rules.’
- Take any more hits with a soft 19
The Best Blackjack Tips and Tricks
If you are dealt a pair of 8s or Aces, always split them. A pair of 8s totals 16; it is the worst blackjack hand and the Basic Strategy will have you stand in most cases. Vice versa, a pair of 10-value cards totals 20; it is a good hand to risk it. Never stick to the ‘dealer rules.’ Dealers must hit on 16 and stand on 17. You don’t have to follow this rule. Don’t think the dealer and the player have equal rights. If both the player and the dealer bust, the dealer wins. That’s why this rule doesn’t work for the player, only for the dealer.
Best Ways to Win at Blackjack
No matter what anyone might tell you blackjack is primarily a game of chance. Having said that, certain factors like calmness, being level headed and using some basic math, will help you towards beating the house edge. It all takes patience and an ability to follow the rules. Remember that blackjack is also a game of mathematical probabilities. For example, if the dealer is standing on a soft 17, then math will tell you he’ll go bust 29% of the time. Once you know these numbers and basic blackjack rules, then it’s easier to make a qualified guess. If you want to win, then we suggest that you follow these basic points:
- Come prepared
- Know the rules
- Use a good strategy
- Use your head, not your heart
- Keep your cool when trouble comes your way
The fact that blackjack has such cold and clear cut rules is what makes it a game for statistical analysis. Back in the 1600’s the scientist Blaise Pascal was already formulating theories of probability based off casino games. And though the study of statistics might sound dull and boring, learning about them can really help your game. For example, the overall chance of winning a blackjack game is 42% and the probability of finding a blackjack in a 6 deck shoe is less than 5%. Once you learn the fundamentals you’ll make a significant difference to the odds. It’s like discovering new and secret blackjack winning tips.
Your mental attitude or fortitude is really the measure of how you respond to events beyond your control. Playing blackjack can be an almost text book example of how mental state can have an effect on game play. You must have the mind set of a winner. You need to focus all your attention and energies into winning and nothing else. it doesn’t matter whether you’re playing blackjack, poker or even the stock market. The important point to keep in mind is that you’ll probably lose 70% of the time. That’s just the plain math speaking to you. With these points in mind here is a list of the best blackjack tips and tricks for practical purposes.
- Think you don’t have to consider a single hand or session. Remember, you are playing for fun and money.
- Only sit at the blackjack table when you are mentally prepared; be in position to roll with the punches, and when you are full of energy.
- Don’t get distracted. If you are not able to perceive the game in full, leave the table.
- Never drink while you are playing Blackjack.
- Don’t be in a hurry and don’t accept outside pressure to play too quickly, whether you are playing at home or in a casino.
Money management and gambling do not sound like words that belong together. But this couldn’t be further from the truth. Being able to sensibly manage your bankroll can make a world of difference when it comes to playing blackjack. Everyone likes to flex at the casino. But right now you’re playing online. It’s just you and your mobile phone or laptop. So you don’t need to impress anyone. it’s a great time to practice some money management skills without interruptions or distractions. Here are some basic rules with regard to money:
- Never play with the rent money or school fees. Only play with money you can afford to lose, and no more.
- Set a bankroll, a fixed amount of money you are going to wager for the current session. Set your bankroll before you sit down at the table, when you’re in full control of your head.
- Get up and walk away as soon as your bankroll has gone. Log off, have a break, go for a walk, do anything else, but do not go on gambling a minute longer.
- Games rules will vary between different sites. As with T+C’s, go through them carefully or even write down the main points. It is a good idea to find the casino with the most favorable House Edge. There is a difference between true odds and what is advertised.
- Remember, winning and losing cycles are like the cycle of life.
- Whether you are playing football, the stock market or Blackjack, submit to losing a most of the time, about 70%.
- Bet more when you’re on a winning streak and less when you are losing. Don’t allow yourself to bet big during a losing streak. Decrease your wagers. If you match your bets to your current streak, your strategy is safer.
- Don’t try to win back losses with a big bet.
- When you have had an extraordinary (or even an ordinary) winning streak, immediately cash in. Quit while you’re ahead.
- Face your losing streaks with courage, but if they go on for too long. Know when to quit.
- Walk away a winner. Leave the table while you are ahead and don’t look back.